Nestle these protein and iron-rich patties between a whole wheat bun and your favorite fixins (the vitamin C in tomatoes helps with iron absorption!), or pair with some brown rice (or other whole grain) and your favorite seasonal veggies for a complete meal (recipe courtesy of West Virginia WIC).
Yield amount6 Servings
- Heat grill or broiler to 375 degrees.
- Combine turkey, oats, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Shape into 6 patties about ¼ inch thick.
- Place some of the shredded cheese or a cube of cheese into the middle of each patty.
- Reshape the patty to cover the cheese.
- Grill or broil the burgers about 4 inches from the heat for 5 minutes on each side or until the center is no longer pink (170 degrees internal temperature).
Equipment you'll need:
- Grill or broiler
- Baking sheet (if broiling)
- Large bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board or large plate
- Shredder or knife for the cheese
West Virginia WIC